March 2015 President's Corner
I remember the first AudiologyNOW! I attended in Anaheim, CA. It was amazing to meet students and audiologists from all over the world, and see first-hand how the field of audiology is changing! I learned so much and had such a wonderful time; however, as a first time attendee I was overwhelmed by all of the events and sessions going on and wish I’d had a “how-to” guide to help me. Here are some of the tips and tricks I wish I’d had when attending AudiologyNOW! that I hope will help you in San Antonio this year!
- Support SAA and Attend Student Events – Did you know that all of the money contributed during SAA events at AudiologyNOW! go directly towards student scholarships, grants, and programs? There are some fantastic events geared specifically for students and hosted by the Academy and SAA that are both fun and educational! Here’s a few:
- Attend the Making the Most of Your Conference Experience – Student Edition on Wednesday, March 25th from 4:15-5:00pm. This is a great opportunity to get overview of the AN! schedule and learn about some interesting events for students and one of the best ways for new attendees to get an idea of what AN! Is all about!
- SAA Mix and Mingle and Celebrate Audiology– what a great opportunity to network with fellow SAA members and professionals from all over the world! These events kick off AudiologyNOW! and are an excellent way to meet new people. The SAA Mix and Mingle is sponsored in part by Audigy Group.
- SAA Conference – the SAA is excited to host the 3rd annual conference that covers many different topics in audiology through a case-based approach. This event allows students to think outside the box and work through difficult and unique cases from experts in the field of audiology. If you have not already, I highly encourage you to register for this worthwhile event!
- Externship Panel – started thinking about where you want to complete your externship? Wonder what the application process is like? The panel will consist of students who are completing their rotations in a variety of clinical settings and will share their experiences and answer
all of your 4th year questions.
- Cheers for Ears – this is one of the most fun events during AudiologyNOW! Cheers for Ears will be held at Pat O’Brien's this year, a traditionally festive and fun location in the heart of the River Walk. The event is a great way to relax and get to know fellow SAA members, which raising money for student scholarships and events! Philanthropic support for Cheers for Ears is provided by Alpaca Audiology, Oticon Inc., Phonak LLC, ReSound, and Widex.
- Attend as much as you can! – This will require some pre-planning in order to prioritize what sessions you would like to attend. There are so many interesting and informative events, so be sure to look at the schedule and have an idea of when things are happening. Check out the full AudiologyNOW! schedule.
- Step outside your comfort zone! –Interested in networking with audiologists and industry experts? See something on the schedule that you haven’t had a whole lot of experience with? AudiologyNOW! is the perfect opportunity to learn something new and find out more about what the field of audiology has to offer.
- Build your professional network – The field of audiology is fairly small and there are so many different areas you can work in both geographically and professionally. Audiologists can serve in a wide variety of capacities, so having a large network of peers is excellent! You never know where you will be or in what aspect of audiology you might be work, so keep an open mind and network, network, network!
- Explore San Antonio – If you get some down time, or have an extra day in San Antonio, explore the beautiful area around the convention center and in downtown! The River Walk is a great place to do some shopping, grab a bite to eat, or just enjoy the view of the San Antonio River! Or visit the original Alamo and learn about the Battle of the Alamo and other historical events in Texas’ past.
These are just a few of the great events at AudiologyNOW! If you’d like more information about these and other events, check out the conference planner. I hope these tips will help make your experience at AudiologyNOW! a worthwhile experience and allow you to take full advantage of all the opportunities and events available! Let’s make AudiologyNOW! 2015 something to remember as we steer with success!
Laura Chenier, SAA President