You will likely be given a prompt that includes specific elements to write about. Each school that you chose to apply to should have their prompt listed as part of their application materials, if a personal statement is required. Ensure that you have thoroughly read the prompt for each program to which you plan to apply as they may appear similar, but have slight differences that you will need to address.
- What attracted you to this field of study?
- What have you done to learn more about it?
- How do you plan to use your education and training?
- What do you perceive as the needs and/or challenges in this field of study?
- Does your academic record reflect your ability in the field you desire? If not, please explain.
- What particular strengths do you possess that qualify you for the program?
- What education and skills do you expect to acquire through obtaining this degree?
- Why do you want to attend this university specifically?
Be sure to read their website, contact faculty, and discuss with your advisors, so that you have enough information to answer this question genuinely.
Many of these questions reflect similar ideas to what you have thought about during your reflection in Step 1. Look back to what you said while reflecting for connections to the questions in your prompts. For those schools with similar prompts, you may write one general statement and tailor it to each school.