"Ask Me About Audiology" Campaign
The "Ask Me About Audiology" Campaign (AMAA) is entering its fourth year and has easily become a Fall semester staple for many local SAA chapters. The campaign seeks to empower students to educate members of the local community about hearing healthcare, the impact of hearing loss/noise exposure, and the profession of audiology. For 2018, AMAA is expanding from a single day to an entire week. Mark your calendars for October 15-21! More information about this event will be made available in the coming weeks. Visit the SAA's Facebook page and RSVP for the event to receive instant updates!
Tools to Get Started
AMAA is about spreading information and awareness in your local community. To do this effectively, chapters are encouraged to have some type of leave-behind to either serve as a reminder of your message or as a starting point for people to pursue more information. If your chapter is interested in passing out free earplugs at an event, there are a limited number of earplugs available for this campaign. The SAA would like to thank Oaktree Products, Inc. for sponsoring AMAA 2018 and for helping facilitate student events by donating earplugs for the third consecutive year. Complete the 2018 AMAA Earplug Order Form by Friday, October 5, 2018 to receive a supply of earplugs. Inventory is on a first come, first serve basis so don't delay!
See below for other published resources that you may find helpful in planning your event:
- AAA Fact Sheets on a variety of topics, ready for immediate printing
- Web Tools and Animated GIFs for social media
- Myth vs Fact poster/handout
- “Ask an Audiologist” business cards, ready for immediate printing: front and back
- Practice your audiology “elevator pitch”
Hosting an Event
An AMAA Campaign can take on many shapes and sizes as long as you’re generating awareness and discussion about audiology. To help narrow the focus of this year’s campaign, the SAA Public Outreach Committee is encouraging chapters to focus on the effects of noise pollution and importance of hearing conservation. This is a perfect opportunity to partner with an SAA chapter in your state or even an allied health profession at your university (e.g. medical, dental, or optometry students). See below for potential event ideas:
- Join a health fair or health walk in your local community
- Pass out hearing protection at a sporting event or airshow
- Give a presentation at a local school or senior center
- Create a social media challenge and encourage your friends, neighbors, and students in allied health professions to participate
Questions? Contact Alexander Morris, SAA Public Outreach Committee Chair.