Personal Statement Supplement
This packet was created as a supplement to the “Applying to Audiology Graduate School” guide, which can be found here. This supplement is intended to provide additional, more detailed information to aid undergraduate students in writing a personal statement or statement of purpose for their graduate school application.
Please contact Olivia DeWald, Chapter and Member Relations Committee Chair, with any questions.
Neither the authors nor the American Academy of Audiology (AAA) are the authoritative source on graduate school applications. The best resource for admissions information is to reference the individual graduate programs’ application requirements.
All examples provided are for the purposes of guidance only. Personal statements are intended to allow applicants an avenue to showcase themselves as unique and demonstrate their writing skills. Therefore, plagiarism is NOT beneficial and NEVER condoned.
- What is a Personal Statement?
- Step 1: Getting Started
- Step 2: The Prompt
- Step 3: Putting Pen to Paper (or Fingers to Keyboard)
- Step 4: Finalizing
Personal Statement Samples
The following personal statements have been provided by audiology graduate students who are members of SAA. They are intended to be used as examples of successful statements. As you read through them, consider:
- Was there anything noteworthy/interesting?
- What did they do well?
- What could have been improved?
- If you were an application committee, would you accept them? Why or why not?
The header denotes the year in which the author ultimately enrolled. Some text has been altered to remove identifying information, such as names and universities, and is marked in italics.
The following resources have excellent information and examples that may be found helpful.
Doran, J., & Brizee, A. (2012, May 8). Writing the Personal Statement. In addition to information about the personal statement in general, questions to ask yourself before writing, and general advice, the following is accessible in the left sidebar navigation:
- Advice from Admissions Officers
- Top 10 Rules and Pitfalls
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Writers Workshop: Writer Resources. (n.d.). In addition to information about the personal statement in general, this source includes:
- Context Considerations
- One Process for Writing the Personal Statement
- Personal Inventory Questions
- Do’s and Don’ts