Preparing for your externship search can feel like a mad dash. Take a deep breath and read through the Student Academy of Audiology’s (SAA) quick tips for getting started, applying, and interviewing for your externship.
The externship search is a long process. One that many students start a year in advance. From preparing resumes to cover letters and tracking down letters of recommendation, it’s best to start early and give yourself time to prepare!
- Check out SAA’s Externship Guide and externship resources to learn more about the application process.
- Browse HEARCareers or the Audiology Clinical Education Network to find available externship positions.
- Create a list of places that you want to apply to. Take note of the application deadlines and required documents for each.
- Ask for 2 to 3 letters of recommendation (try to get at least one from a clinical supervisor!)
- Work on your cover letter and resume. Send your documents to Academy’s Resume Review to receive FREE feedback from audiologists.
Most likely, you will be applying to more than one externship opportunity. Like anything in life, you’ll want to be on top of your game.
- Keep your application materials organized – each position will have different deadlines, required documents, and methods to submit the application.
- Submit your applications and wait to hear back about an interview!
Interviewing can seem scary, but trust us…if you’re well prepared, the interview process can be a breeze.
- Do your research on each position.
- Be prepared and professional.
- Send a thank you letter after each interview.
Resources for Your Externship Search
Additionally, the SAA has a multitude of blogs detailing the externship experience of other students who went through the same process, including Externship Process Do’s and Don’ts: From a Recent Applicant and How I Applied to Externships. If you want to share your externship experience, email Academy staff.
By Kassander Thompson, BA Whether you’re applying to undergraduate or graduate school, a fellowship, an externship, or a job – rejection is an inevitable part of the application process. We have all been there (believe me). Relax, take a deep breath, and keep reading to learn how to make the best of this situation. If…
Congratulations on making it this far in completing your clinical doctorate in audiology! The externship application process is the next step in becoming an audiologist and is a moment to be excited about. Make sure you take advantage of the national Student Academy of Audiology (SAA) tips and resources, starting with the 2023 Externship Guide….
September can be an exciting yet stressful time for our student members applying to graduate programs and externships. The national Student Academy of Audiology (SAA) would like to assist in easing that stress by providing numerous resources to assist with your application process. For undergraduate students who are applying to graduate schools, we have a…