Preparing for your externship search can feel like a mad dash. Take a deep breath and read through the Student Academy of Audiology’s (SAA) quick tips for getting started, applying, and interviewing for your externship.
The externship search is a long process. One that many students start a year in advance. From preparing resumes to cover letters and tracking down letters of recommendation, it’s best to start early and give yourself time to prepare!
- Check out SAA’s Externship Guide and externship resources to learn more about the application process.
- Browse HEARCareers or the Audiology Clinical Education Network to find available externship positions.
- Create a list of places that you want to apply to. Take note of the application deadlines and required documents for each.
- Ask for 2 to 3 letters of recommendation (try to get at least one from a clinical supervisor!)
- Work on your cover letter and resume. Send your documents to Academy’s Resume Review to receive FREE feedback from audiologists.
Most likely, you will be applying to more than one externship opportunity. Like anything in life, you’ll want to be on top of your game.
- Keep your application materials organized – each position will have different deadlines, required documents, and methods to submit the application.
- Submit your applications and wait to hear back about an interview!
Interviewing can seem scary, but trust us…if you’re well prepared, the interview process can be a breeze.
- Do your research on each position.
- Be prepared and professional.
- Send a thank you letter after each interview.
Resources for Your Externship Search
Additionally, the SAA has a multitude of blogs detailing the externship experience of other students who went through the same process, including Externship Process Do’s and Don’ts: From a Recent Applicant and How I Applied to Externships. If you want to share your externship experience, email Academy staff.
It’s about that time…the frenzied externship search is about to begin. You might be wondering: when should I start looking, where should I start looking, and even…what information do I need to apply? The Student Academy of Audiology (SAA) has you covered. Continue reading to learn more about a suggested externship timeline, the audiology-focused job…
So you’re about to apply for externships and you feel a little overwhelmed. (How did I know? Because that’s natural!) The good news is that you don’t have to go through it alone. SAA is here to provide resources and tips as you navigate this next step. Be Prepared. Before you apply, you’ll need to…
The time has finally come: breathe in, breathe out. That’s what you’ve been told your whole life to calm your nerves before any type of interview. But this is the most important interview you have had in your entire life. The moment you have been anxiously working towards your whole graduate school journey. How did…